Classic Roman Geese (aka plain head/non-tufted)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by blissdragon, May 24, 2010.

1. blissdragon

blissdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Viroqua, WI
    I've taken over Dave Holderread's "plain-head" Roman Geese and we've changed the name to "Classic" Roman (plain head was unnecessarily unflattering). I am perpetuating them naturally--without electric incubation.
    I got his final 3 pairs (separate bloodlines) somewhat late in the winter and haven't had the luckiest time with them yet...in that they weren't as happy as could be with being relocated and didn't necessarily approve of the pairings we'd designed for them.

I did some rearranging and honored the heart's desire of Abigail to be a trio with Ferdinand and Elanor.
    Elanor's (1st) nest was infertile. Abigail...we'll see, she's been a silly sitter, but...today Celestine hatched out her nest...looks like we have at least 9 Classic Roman babies this year!

Its quite a relief for me. (And they are cute, of course...as soft and innocent as any baby ever was!)

Any body else out there with Classic Romans? As far as I know I'm the only one in N. America that is breeding them...I'd love to learn otherwise!

(Edited to raise the number of babies in Celestine's hatch!)

Dana

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    When he was selling out I seriously thought about getting a couple of pairs. Best of luck with them. I hope you are able to connect with others that have them on here. Good to hear about your first hatching success...wishing you many more! [​IMG]! Right now I keep the tufted and I have one of Dave's females...she's awesome!

Joni

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi Dana! This is Dana too. I was going to take a lot of those Romans as well, but just couldn't space wise. I got a lot of their adult Runners though (which too have not done as much as I would have liked so far, but they are starting now to settle in and are laying well now). I would love to get some of those Romans from you at some point. Good luck with them! Hopefully, next season will be better now that they are settled in. I love the breed. I actually think they are one of the prettiest geese. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. blissdragon

Apr 5, 2010
    Viroqua, WI
    Holderread says he doesn't know of anyone who's breeding more than a trio or so of them. As far as Dave and I know, there isn't anyone else to discuss the matter of the name-change of this non-APA-recognized heritage breed. Dave says he called them "plain-head" and figures he can call them "classic" just as easily. Makes sense to me.
    For that matter, in other parts of the world, they are called "Roman" and the Tufted Roman folks have to add the clarifying word.
    "Classic Roman" has pretty much the same meaning as "Roman".
    Frankly, I'd be surprised if anyone complained for too long... the name did not do the dignity of the breed a service at all, IMO.

And, if you know folks who are breeding them, please hook me up! I ain't got no attachment to doing this alone. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hillside

Hillside Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    An interesting topic. There are people who love to crab about the "hatcheries" but when a producer like HWF quits with something it sometimes doesn't take long for a breed to become mighty scarce. Still, with these it seems there should be some breeders out there no matter the size of their flocks. Gerald Donnely from Canada was showing them almost 20 years ago. He'd imported them but I don't know if he was the only importer or not. HWF may have gotten some of that stock to get started with. Or maybe not. Point is they are reputed to be very self sufficient and productive and since they've been here at least since the Donnely importation it stands to reason that there have to be other breeding groups. You might try other online resources, like Poultry Connection as well as putting an ad (or better yet an article on what you are doing) in the Poultry Press.

7. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    I like the new name. [​IMG]

8. blissdragon

Apr 5, 2010
    Viroqua, WI
    Yes, Hillside.
    The article idea is a good one. You would recommend poultry press? Better than feather fancier (or whatever its called)?
    I will reflect on this further.
    Dave has talked to me about the fellow in Canada, Gerald Donnely, a number of times though I don't recall Dave ever mentioning his name. I've heard that he has gotten out of birds due to illness?
    Dave did get his original stock from Donnely.
    Dave alleges that the birds were very unpopular. He has insinuated that he has kept them this long almost entirely due to the fact that he sees them as being such a practical, beautiful, and historically significant breed. He said he's never understood how they could have been so under-appreciated.
    I think it has been partly due to the name "plain-head" that people always have seemed to pick another breed.
    These Classic Romans are *wonderful* geese!
    [​IMG]
    Dana

9. Hillside

Hillside Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    I don't think the name had much to do with the lack of popularity. It's accurate and descriptive. The birds probably don't appeal to the exhibitor as they are not APA recognized and so cannot win anything other than a best of variety. We live in a world where a lot of people won't breed and keep something like these geese because there's no chance at big wins and all that. While beautiful to their admirers they probably look like a plain white goose to lots of people. They should have a lot of appeal to the back to the land or green types though.

10. blissdragon

Apr 5, 2010
    Viroqua, WI
    Yes, you are right on all accounts.
    And: "plain-head" didn't flatter them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by