Classroom Hatching Project

wellclass

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 28, 2014
I'm like a new mom, very nervous. I got a grant from Pinellas Education Foundation for a Hovabator 1588 with the automatic egg turner. I have read and reread but I missed the detail, keep the humidity lower than 55 during the set time. It's been hovering in the mid 50's today. Today is day 3. I put them in on Tuesday afternoon around 4 pm. At that time the humidity was in the high 50's. If I don't add any water it will drop over the weekend. Did I mess up? Will my chicks still hatch?
Thanks for your help

No need to worry :hugs

As your on day 3 you still have time for your air sacs to grow enough. When you candle on day 7 you will be able to see how big they are. Here is a chart for roughly how much they should grow over the incubation period ~

Humidity needs to be an average over the incubation period short highs and lows are not a problem as long as your average is good and the air sacs grow enough.

Good luck with your hatch :fl

Thank you. I am looking forward to seeing the difference. I candled a few today but just notice a line at the top. I bought them from chicken breeders in Brooksville. Here's hoping we get some babies. The kids are very excited but I tell them every day they may not all hatch. We have to leave that up to nature.

We are keeping hourly records of temp and humidity during the school day so the kids have practice recording data and feel like scientists.

I'm like a new mom, very nervous.   I got a grant from Pinellas Education Foundation for a Hovabator 1588 with the automatic egg turner.  I have read and reread but I missed the detail, keep the humidity lower than 55 during the set time.  It's been hovering in the mid 50's today. Today is day 3.  I put them in on Tuesday afternoon around 4 pm.  At that time the humidity was in the high 50's.    If I don't add any water it will drop over the weekend.  Did I mess up?  Will my chicks still hatch?  
Thanks for your help

I am planning a classroom hatch, too! Did you do the Jabil STEM grant?

What grades are you both working with? I went and did an assembly to 4 first grade classes re: poultry use on the small farm, as well as incubation. It was fun seeing the enthusiasm of those kids. They then set a bunch of eggs. I don't know what kind of hatch results they had. I tried to do some education for the teachers re: dry incubation, but they were not responsive.

I teached Gifted K-5. I also have a garden focus group. Our kindergatlrten teacher does this every year.

I did a fund a class grant. My school is not Title One. If you need help putting a grant together I'd be happy to help. You can contact me at wellera@.

Back
Top Bottom