Claw trimming

CCUK

Free Flying
Jan 21, 2018
North Notts, UK
My Coop
My Coop
One of my arucana hens has got fairly long claws. My hens are on a slabbed covered run and have a dirt/woodchip open run. She is the only one like it and then do seem to be getting longer. She scratches about the same as all the rest but her claws still look too long. She has had scaly leg mite which I treated with vaseline and ivermectin. Would anybody think they need trimming if so how do you do it?
DSC_0521.JPG
DSC_0522.JPG
Thanks for any advice.

I'd go with yes....using toe nail trimmers for humans. You will be able to see the vein (quick) through her nail...trim about three mm beyond it. If you accidentally cut too short and make it bleed, dip it in corn starch and restrict her movement until it is well clotted. Have the corn starch on hand before you start xx

Please dont cut. Use a pet nail grinder and take it down alittle at a time. This way you dont cause her to bleed. Theres a post from just the other day of someone accidentally cutting the nail too short. On the legs use some coconut oil or mineral oil and it will help bring the scales back down.

Back
Top Bottom