CLAWS! - What should I do about my Black Sex Linked Hens claws?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Saryit, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Saryit

Saryit New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    What should I do about my Black Sex Linked Hens claws? They are so sharp that they are cutting my arm when they sit on me! Is there any way I can cut their nails?
    [​IMG]

2. ZoeStevens

ZoeStevens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    I've only had parrots so maybe wait for someone else to chime in, but I clipped my birds' claws whenever they felt too sharp. I just clipped off the very very tip so I wouldn't cut the quick or reduce their gripping abilities. I just used a clipper for cat claws or a people nail clipper.

Have some styptic powder or corn starch on hand to stop the bleeding just in case... but if you just blunt the tip it shouldn't be an issue.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I had a quick search of some old threads.
    It seems safe to cut your chickens' claws with a dog/cat nail clipper. Someone also suggested perhaps letting the chickens run on concrete block, and they would file their nails as they did so.
    The towel over the head idea is also good, stops the chickens from moving around as you are cutting the nails.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/86317/claws-getting-long-need-to-trim

4. ZoeStevens

ZoeStevens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Also, don't use cat or dog clippers that have already been on a cat or dog unless you sterilize them first. If you DID knick the quick, you don't want an infection!

Zoe

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    A little bit of sand paper and just taking the sharp tips off should be plenty. Allowing them access to some stoney soil, concrete, asphalt, or sand will do the work for you.

Just so you know, though, they're likely to still scratch you even with blunted nails...especially the older and heavier they get. They don't mean any harm, but several pounds of bird situating itself on your arm will occasionally lead to some marks/scratches. The only thing you can do for a permanent fix is to not let them on you, though that's not nearly as fun. [​IMG]

6. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    :lol: Very true. I'll often still get scratched now, and my chickens free range on all sorts of gritty surfaces. People have been quite alarmed to sometimes see lines on my leg from where a chicken has flown up to sit.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by