Clean Coop - Happy Chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Michigan Chickman, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I clean my coop every other week and it's like Christmas every time for my girls [​IMG] I swear, in chicken world there's nothing better than investigating, scratching in and utterly destoying a clean coop!

Anyone have a similar experience?

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    well , I don't clean mine every week , but every month or so .

I use pine shavings in mine and I have no odor .

How big is your coop and how many chickens do you have ?

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I clean mine every other Saturday. I scrape the floor and put every dirty thing in the compost bin. They LOVE IT!!! Especially new straw. I have pine shavings, dry stall and straw. I rake the run and add sand or gravel from the pile. But the straw is better than food to them. I always seem to uncover a few worms in the run and they go fast.

Scratch and Peck!!! [​IMG]

4. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I've got 34 RIRs, 31 hens and 3 roos. My coop is about 10x15 and the run is about 40x20. I've sold 18 of spring chicks and am looking to sell another 10-15 before winter.

5. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Yes, I can attest. My girls love the scratch and dig up the fresh shavings I put down and look for bugs. Nothing escapes their keen eyes! [​IMG]

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I cheat, I have a tractor style coop with a run attached. I just move it to a new spot and relay fresh straw. They are more interested in the new run area. Like today I moved it a couple of feet and there was a new ant mound near by... it was like chicken christmas as they ran in circles around the mound cleaning up.

They are WAY to fun to watch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by