Clean Egg????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldies99, Aug 9, 2011.

1. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    can anyone tell me if you have to wash or clean your eggs...and if so how to do it??...thanks...
    still waiting for my first egg....i think it will be another month!

2. Pretty Birdie

Pretty Birdie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    You don't need to wash it unless it's really dirty, but the best way to wash it is a very gentle mixture of soapy water, but don't submerge it. Just remember, eggs are porous.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    When a hen lays an egg, she coats the egg in what's called a "bloom". It's a substance that keeps bacteria from penetrating the egg shell. When you wash an egg, you wash this protection away. (and at that point it MUST be refrigerated)

I don't wash mine unless I get a rare dirty one. (not even when I use them) If your nests are clean, then your eggs will be too. Any washed ones get put in the fridge to be used up first. The eggs will keep longer unwashed as well.

4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    When a hen lays an egg, she coats the egg in what's called a "bloom". It's a substance that keeps bacteria from penetrating the egg shell. When you wash an egg, you wash this protection away. (and at that point it MUST be refrigerated)

That's good to know-I didn't realize that. Thanks. [​IMG]

5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    And for those who sell them.....do you wash them first? Do you instruct buyers on how to handle them safely?

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    My first egg, came to me spotless...

You can instruct them that they are not washed, to protect the freshness, that if they wish to wash them, do so
    immediately before using if they wish to do so. As soon as they are washed, they start to age.

7. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    thanks everyone......now i will be ready when that first egg comes!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by