clean eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rigagirl, May 1, 2009.

1. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    is it bad to was eggs that you plan incubating?

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Some do but there are lots of potential problems with it. You can actually push bacteria into the shell by washing especially if you use cold water. There is also a protective coating on the shell that keeps bacteria out. Washing them removes that. I do not set very dirty eggs or eggs that have gotten wet. Other than that I will only scrape off bits of feather or straw that get stuck to them and put them in the incubator. I also don't wash eggs for eating either. If they are very dirty I either get rid of them or immediately feed them to the pets. If they are only stained or have a few streaks I put them in the fridge as is.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I've heard it recommended that you use sandpaper to scrape off any dirt before incubating eggs. Not done it myself.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you feel you must wash an egg, be sure you do it under running water that is warmer than the egg is. This way, bacteria tend to move out of the egg, instead of in.

I'm not saying I would wash then incubate an egg. I have never incubated eggs.

5. rigagirl

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    thanks everyone. i did it wrong i should have asked before doing it but i also think they wouldn't have been used anyway. a egg broke so thats what was on them. and i used cold water.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    When I got a shipment with a broken egg I wet a paper towel with the hottest water that would come out of my tap and carefully wiped the sticky stuff off. 3 of the 4 eggs that got gunk on them hatched and the last never developped and went rotten in the first week.

All you can do now is wait. Make sure to check the bator for any smells in case one goes bad and I would definitely candle between day 7 and 10 to try to remove any clears or bad eggs.

7. rigagirl

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    Akane the eggs are not for me i am selling them to someone to incubate, but thanks

8. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    [​IMG] I wouldn't sell eggs that had gotten dirty or broken egg on them unless it was real cheap and I told the person. I'd ask them to wait while I collected a new batch the next week.

9. rigagirl

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    okie dokie

10. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm still a newbie at this. What I did was try to 'think' like the mother hen. Did she wash her eggs?? No. Does she get up from the nest once in a while? Yes, So opening the bator isn't bad. Just work carefully and quickly if hand turning.
    JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by