Clean up after Cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NoSkiveez, Aug 25, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    My teenage birds got cocci. I had been hosing down my coops in the hot part of the day and created a great environment for cocci. I lost several birds before I figured out what was killing them I thought the heat got them. I removed them from the coop, medicated them, cleaned the coop and letter it dry out really well. Its been 2 weeks and I put them back in their coop and they are doing well.

The dog crates I had them in have been emptied of everything, hosed down, taken apart and scrubbed with dish soap, rinsed, air dried in the sun, poured straight bleach in, air dried with bleach, rinsed, air dried, rubbing alcohol, air dried, rinsed and poured concentrated lysol (not the floor mopping kind, the syrupy kind in the black bottle that stinks like a hospital), air dried, rinsed and scrubbed lysol off with a new scrubber and washed off and let air dry.

Will it be safe to put day old chicks in this crate?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure. Day olds will be fine. Actually, cocci exposure in LOW doses when on medicated feeds will aid them in developing a life long immunity to cocci. Low does without medicated feeds will help them out either if you choose not to give a cocci inhibitor to them via feed.

By any chance did your teens not get to play in dirt till they grew up? If so, that probably contributed to their succumbing to cocci.

3. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    They were in dirt but it was elevated wood flooring and I dumped the dirt weekly. I'm very picky about a clean pen because I don't like anything stinky and the pens are very close to the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by