Clean Up Questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sweetshoplady, May 29, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    OK, what is the best way to pick up after your goats? The rakes I use for the horses aren't very effective. [​IMG]

Also, my goats like to lay under the pine trees and get pine sap on them. Then dirt gets on the drops of pine sap. How do I get the pine sap off? They are starting to look like spotted goats. [​IMG]

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Large flat-edge shovel? Small garden trowel? Kitty litter scoop? Yard rake with flexible tines? Old broom? Hand broom & dustpan?
    Goat droppings drive me crazy on my gravel path to the chicken coop. I generally just use my boot to shove aside :mad:

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Generally speaking, our goat yard (bare dirt) has enough hay mixed in that the hay acts as a base, so when I use my horse manure fork to rake and scoop, I get the majority of the berries. I say, good enough. If you really wanted to get them gone, you'd have to wait for a dry day, broom them and scoop with a flat shovel.

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Thanks, I want to use them for fertilizer in other places, like in my garden, or to try to get a compost pile going.

Anybody with ideas on how to get sap off an animal?

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I would like to know about getting sap off too. We had a bunch of pine branches come down during an ice storm this spring. The goats loved them, but were full of the sap. Lucky for me, mine shed most of it out.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Rubbing alcohol.

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by