Clean water for chickens??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HHandbasket, Jan 16, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We have 3 waterers in the yard (well, 2 in the yard, 1 in the run) for the chickens, and we go to great lengths to make sure our girls have plenty of fresh, clean water. Sometimes we have to empty it out and refill it before they drink it all, but we are concerned about the health of our flock.

For all the good it does us. LOL.

Three waterers FILLED with fresh water, and what do they drink? The nasty muddy rain water that accumulated on a plastic bag that the wind blew off the garbage pile and into the yard.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yep, I can relate to that. My cats and dogs do the same thing. Ewwwwwwwwwwww, that's too clean for my taste! Then they find the nastiest, dirtiest puddle they can. [​IMG]

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I put fresh water in the coops and our birds choose the duck bucket, which is dirty as soon as the little angels put their bills in it. Oh well.

4. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    Silly girls!

Same here- after I go through all the good time and trouble of dumping out the old water and scrubbing the container, refilling w/ fresh water, they drink from the mud puddle formed where the old water is.

Maybe the old water tastes better- (no chlorine), or perhaps they get minerals from the dirty water?

And our dog prefers drinking from the toilet...[​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Same here, they prefer a puddle to waterers. When it rains, it's like they have to sample all the puddles. I want to tell them they won't find any candy in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by