Clean water in brooder

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I am getting 4 polish chicks to add to my flock of 6 in the future, but remembered how much of a pain it was to clean the water everyday because it was full of shaving-filled water. I know this question has been asked before and people are probably sick of hearing it, but what is an easy way to keep the water clean, while also not letting it tip over? When I mounted the water on my batch of 6 chicks, it just fell and I had to clean the whole brooding bin.

Mine were about 5 weeks when I got them and taught them how to use nipple waterers - fabulous! Due to space in the brooder I got hubby to fit a nipple to a small water bottle which I was able to easily attach to the side saved space and with a drip tray underneath which I put some sand in was pretty clean too compared to the normal waterer I started with. Not sure how young they cna be taught to use them though.

I’m not really planning on buying a nipple waterer. This is probably going to be my last batch of chicks and so I don’t want to buy something I’ll use once.

They are the same size as what you use for big chickens so you can use them forever, I think we paid 99c for 5 of them off ebay so a really cheap option and you can put them on any sized bottle etc that you want.

You can either put up the waterer (I use turned over terracotta flower pots) or use nipple waterers. The niplle waterers are certainly easier and I think a worthwhile investment to save yourswlf a lot of trouble. I switched to nipple waterers for my last tiny batch of chicks and will never go back to the open waterers for chicks.

You can either put up the waterer (I use turned over terracotta flower pots) or use nipple waterers. The niplle waterers are certainly easier and I think a worthwhile investment to save yourswlf a lot of trouble. I switched to nipple waterers for my last tiny batch of chicks and will never go back to the open waterers for chicks.
Ok, well if I considered buying a nipple waterer, how would you teach them that's where the water is? I would only use it for chicks, and I'll go check prices on amazon right now.

Back
Top Bottom