1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clean Water!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickschool, Nov 2, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Can ducks learn to drink for a nipple waterer? If so will they get enough water? I am concerned about them getting enough fresh clean water. Not to mention tired of cleaning it out 2-3 times a day. I swear by this time next year I am going to invent a poultry waterer that maintains a certain water level AND filters out all the dirt. After that...one that doesn't freeze in the winter run on solar power![​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'm not sure but how will they wash their nares out? they need to be able to wash their faces.

3. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    That's what I thought. Wishful thinking. [​IMG]

4. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Not really to answer your question about a nipple waterer, but how do you have your waterer set up now? If you put your waterer on a wire floor, and dig a pit underneath, the water will drain and they won't make mud puddles. This should help to keep their water cleaner. Just an idea, I don't know if this is an option for your set-up or not.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    It's not the puddles that are the problem. It's that they root around then every time they drink the dirt in their beaks gets deposited creating a mucky mess in no time. I think I've got an idea about how to keep the water moving while filtering it. My biggest problem is finding a filter system that can handle the dirt without sucking to hard. i.e. our pool filter could easily do the job but it filters many gallons an hour where I'd be good with filtering 5 gallons twice a day. One way or another I'm gonna do it!

6. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:Oh, I see. Well, you can put me on a waiting list when you perfect your product I'll buy one or three! LOL

7. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    No problem.[​IMG]

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Good luck! I've finally given up thinking I can outsmart mine. Everything I THINK will work...fail... [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I clean mine all once a day... i wouldn't bother doing it several times, honestly.. mine love to poke there heads in muddy puddles so i doubt a dirty bowl is going to be an issue... ducks are just messy.. cleanliness isn't there forte. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I only clean once a day too, they are just messy and there is nothing we can do about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by