clean watering & winter watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmingCityGirl, Aug 14, 2013.

1. FarmingCityGirl

FarmingCityGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Michigan
    I'm thinking about doing the 5 gallon bucket with the nipples in the bottom...seems easiest for me to do by myself. It's time for me to think about what to do for the winter too...I've done a lot of reading in here and don't really want to try the cookie tin method or the aquarium heater method. What about this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Farm-Innovators-H-49-5-Gallon-Submergible-Water-Bucket-Heater/19868984 in the bucket? Does it plug into an extension cord? Also, would one big bucket with 3 nipples be enough for 12 hens? Would putting the deicer in the bottom of the bucket prevent the nipples from freezing?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. I don't know how many nipples you are supposed to have per chicken, though. I would still change the water daily, for cleanliness.

3. KWSRetMSgt

KWSRetMSgt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Ft Worth TX
    I believe I had read that one (1) nipple can handle up to 5 chickens, I do not recall exactly where I read that but that is what I can remember.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yikes, that's expensive for a bucket heater. Try this: http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...sion-bucket-utility-de-icer.html#.Ugz5DbUo4iE

That's the one I bought so I can vouch that it works great. My bucket hangs inside an uninsulated and well-ventilated coop so it's out of the wind but it's cold in there. I haven't had any freezing at all with temps in the teens. Now, it says not to use an extension cord on the packaging but I do. I just chose one that was rated for outdoor use, thicker than the wire on the heater, and has a grounded plug. I made sure the connection is in a dry location.

I refill my bucket as needed and wash it with bleach maybe 3-4 times a year. It doesn't get slimy at all. I made the air hole tiny and the lid is on tight so no dirt gets in. And then the little stinkers drink from filthy puddles when they go out to range...

Oh, and they also fail to mention that you need to slide the small stopper up the cord to compress the chew protection coil until it is above the water line. Make sure you do that or you'll have rusty metal and orange water.

ETA -- I have 3 nipples for 10 chickens and it's plenty. I was advised not to go overboard on the number because lack of use can cause minerals to build up and cause leaking.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    One nipple can service 6 to 8 hens. Horizontal nipples are less prone to freezing. Only the stanless steel end is exposed to the water as pictured on the right. They are spring loaded so they don't leak. The bucket can sit or hang either way it is easier to fill because you can sit it on the ground. The bucket as pictured services over 100 chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It really depends on the conditions and how they do with their pecking order. If it is good, you can have a lot of chickens on each nipple or cup but bad conditions could cause fights if there is not one per chicken. I like about one per 4-5 chickens.
    [​IMG]

7. FarmingCityGirl

FarmingCityGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Michigan
    That is a much better price-and it does well in those plastic 5 gallon buckets? I'm planning on keeping the water and food outside, but under a covered area...I'm running out of room in my coop and don't want to create more problems. It does get cold and snowy here...but I'm going to make a small covered area that connects to where they exit their coop and put the food & water out there. The run is huge.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yes, it's meant for buckets and birdbaths and won't hurt plastic or overheat the water. I've seen folks make a ring using a second bucket with the bottom cut out -- just glue it to your water bucket so it sticks down a couple inches. That shields the nipples from wind as well as allowing you to set the bucket flat on the ground for cleaning. You can even reuse an old, junky paint bucket since it won't touch the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by