1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaned Incubator...Setting up again but incubator smells like bleach?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I cleaned my incubator with water and bleach rinsed really good and dried and set my bator back up. I am letting temps and humidity stable and opened it up and it smells just like bleach. I unplugged my bator and opened it with the lid off and letting in air out. Will the bleach smell leave? Should I rinse it again and set it outside. Or will the bleach smell hurt my turkey eggs?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I always heard to set it out in sunlight! Mine smells like bleach and I have eggs coming today???? and it's raining!!

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I should have let it dried outside but I wanted to get it set up fast so I could put my turkey eggs in. I am letting it air out in the house for awhile then I'll set it up again see if it still smells like that. Ugh if its not one thing its another I planned on putting these turkey eggs in monday but due to delayed hatch I had to wait till today.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    puhh..I didnt "plan" to incubate anymore-my first and only attempt bombed-so I was only going to order "some" silkie eggs..well I have now ordered from 3 people -the eggs will be here this week some time and...I ordered too many -my girlfriend is taking some to incubate for me-I promised her a bunch for free if she helps me get them all in!!! what am I thinking-help!! [​IMG]

5. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    Teresaann,

I know you had trouble with your last batch.. we were on the same "hatching tread" a few days ago. I am sorry.
    If it was a humidity problem, I might be able to help. I do much better with hatching when I set humidity by egg weight loss.

To do this you should weigh you eggs when you put them in. "jewelry" scales which are rated for 1 - 250 or 1 - 500 grams would probably handle turkey eggs pretty good. I got one for $15 including shipping on ebay for hatching my chicken eggs.

Even if you can't weigh on day 1 because you are waiting for a scale, I would set the humidity at whatever is the recommended and then weigh as soon as you get a scale.

I would be glad to enter your weights on a spreadsheet with formulas and help you estimate your orginal weight as well as whether you humidity needs to go up or down.

Hoping things go much better this time. I know how sad it is to have a hatch that didn't make it or very few make it.... this is what convinced me I had to set humidity by weight loss.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always use weak bleach and dawn dishwashing liquid to soak, rinse acouple times and set in the sun all day to air!!! Never has a bleach smell.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks so much for wanting to help me. I'll get a scale and be in contact with you. I use to have a scale that I used to weigh puppies when I use to breed them but I got rid of all that when I had my kids. I will get another and get back to you. That would be awesome to fix this problem. My 1st hatch I only got 2 out of 6 and this time I got 7 out of 11 eggs. I am gonna try to add my turkey eggs today and in 7 days I am going to get 2 dozen of a barnyard mix of chickens to hatch.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I'll try that next time, I rerinsed it and am letting it dry hope this helps with the bleach smell.

9. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    Teresaann,

I believe turkeys and chickens have different weight loss targets

turkeys are about 10 - 12% loss over 25 days
    and chickens are about 11 - 14% loss over 18 days... so greater percent loss per day.

...so don't know quite how that will work out. Will be interesting to see but hopefully the humidity needed will be close enough for both to do well.

Hope this hatch goes better for you.

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Even after rinsing it again with dish washing liquid It still has a strong bleach smell. I really wanna get my turkey eggs in there and I know how pourous eggs are. So will just the smell of the bleach hurt my turkey eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by