cleaned out the cupboard and found some outdated cans of food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Jan 13, 2011.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    can the chickens eat outdated baked beans in a can and clam chowder. some is 2 years old . can i just open the can and give it to them. or is it not a good idea.

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I would only give it to them if you would feel "safe" eating it yourself. I think mine would love the clam chowder.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I would, we feed all the expired stuff in the fridge to the birds.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X2 Learned this the hard way with my dogs. Didn't really think of it until the poor things got food poisoning. If you wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't feed it to your animals.

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    thanks for the replies. i said the heck with it and threw it all in the dump. dont want any sick birds.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If two years old was the worst of it then none of it was outdated.

7. 12thmanjim

12thmanjim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    Wow food from the cupboard?

8. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

To hell with the chickens, I would have eaten it myself!!

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

10. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    For future reference expiration dates on cans are really silly....canned food takes many many years to spoil. A survival site I read says that all food (expect fresh products like bread) are good for a full year after their "expiration date". The way to tell if canned food is safe to eat is to check for bulging of the can's ends and the color/smell of the food when opened. If the ends are flat and the food's color is right and the smell is right, then it is safe to eat. Personally I make sure I use all food within 6 months of expiration date, but would feed it to my animals for the full year, if the can was "normal".

OT...my doctor told me that prescription drugs are good for a full year after the expiration date on the label, right AFTER I threw out a full bottle of my allergy medication...DOH...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by