1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaner coop now that the meaties are gone

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HappyFarmLady, Jun 21, 2011.

1. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    [​IMG] Can't believe how much cleaner my coop stays and how much less water they go through now that the 7 Cornish Crosses have been butchered!!! I kinda thought I would get some more, but now I'm not sure I want to do it this soon (just butchered on friday)!!

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:If possible, try raising them in a tractor if there's a next time. You don't need bedding, and the smell is spread out.

3. trulyblessed

trulyblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    I agree, the tractor is awesome. I almost was like "I'm never doing this again" after cleaning out their brooder everyday and smelling up my house.

Two lessons learned: brooder always is going into the garage and 2, they go out to the tractor sooner!

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    It is amazing how quickly just a few can mess up the place [​IMG]

5. When you want some fresh BBQ or a good roaster, the internal knowledge of how much better your meaties tasted compared to a store bought chicken will kick in and off you go again raising meaties. With only 7 raised that'll be sometime late next month right??? They do poop alot, smell bad, look beat up, did I mention poop alot......But it's worth it!

6. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
  7. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Your so right... wont be long! You'll be thinking well..... 21 days to hatch and this many days to .....

8. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    We are going to process our 22 meaties this weekend. I am totally looking forward to SUNDAY, when all the work is done. My intentions were to put them in a tractor this year but ran out of time and didn't build it. [​IMG]
    Soon, the coop will smell better.....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. jaimepowell

jaimepowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Wellsville
    I agree and I only had 3!!

10. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:You may consider trying a few CX for yourself before making your decision based on what other have said about them being too nasty. I know lots of people who don't say they're too nasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by