1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cleaning a chicks vent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slystr, Mar 14, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    My girls are 3 days old and I have noticed some poop on a couple of vents or just below the vent area. I tried to pull it off but it seemed pretty dried and stuck and if I yanked I was afraid i'd hurt the bird.
    What is the best way to get it off? I tried some water and a cloth but I only got wet little chick hineys with poop on them.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I take them to the sink and run lukewarm water over their butt to loosen it up. Then I take a wet paper towel and wipe their butt clean.
    They don't like it but it works!

3. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    I used a bowl of warm water and a soft wash cloth. That worked the best. They complain but it's best to get it cleaned off. They end up looking pretty wet but dry fast![​IMG]

4. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    thanks for the answers!

5. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    I use a Q-tip dipped in warm water to work the dried poop loose, then when their little bottom's clean I dip another Q-tip in baby oil and spread that on their vent and on the fuzz below the vent to keep any future poop from sticking. It really helps!

6. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I tried a Qtip and paper towel to remove wet poo, without much luck. I came up with a soft scrubber to get it all off without hurting sensitive little bottoms, by using an old toothbrush. I run the chicks bottom under the warm water and then gently scrub the poop off with the toothbrush. Works wonderfully and doesnt pull at their bum.

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    What you are describing is Pasty Butt and I don't know why some get it and others don't. Keep a close eye on your new chicks and try to keep them clean before it gets to dried and it is much easier. With dried on poop do just as suggested. It clears up in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by