Cleaning a dirt run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bkruss, Jan 20, 2016.

1. bkruss

bkruss New Egg

Apr 13, 2015
    I have 4 bantam chickens in a smaller run 8x8. I have no trouble cleaning their coop, but I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas for cleaning the chicken run. Can I just hoe the poop under every once in a while, or is there an easier way to do it?

Also, I want them to be able to get as many insects, worms, etc that they can while in the run. I assume they'll eat through every insect in a few days if they haven't already. Any ideas on how to keep insects around for them to forage?

Thanks for the help.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I do deep litter in my bantam run. I put grass clippings, hay, chopped up leaves, old mulch, weeds pulled out of the garden, food scraps, just pile it on, a bit at a time, the chickens turn it all in, in the summer it becomes a fluffy dry place to dig for worms and bugs, the poop disappears into the mix.

3. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, adding layers of anything natural. Just keep covering that dirt. I never throw away weeds, just add them to the run. Makes for a healthy environment for beneficial bugs.

4. bkruss

bkruss New Egg

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks guys! That helps a lot. Added some hay, and frost killed greens from the garden. They seem pretty happy now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by