Cleaning a previously used wooden house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swatchick, Feb 2, 2012.

1. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I scored an excellent deal on a small wooden chicken house. Thoughts on the best techniques for cleaning and re-using? I don't want to introduce any problems...

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    1 part bleach to thee parts water. Scrub like crazy. Let dry completely. Repeat one time, and then rinse really well with plain water. Lucky you on the find.

3. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    1:3 bleach and water would work, and then some!!

A 1:10 bleach/water ratio was, for many years, the standard wipe down solution used to sterilize the field hospital OR table and equipment. This ratio will kill off any living micro organism, virus, bacteria, louse, etc. This mix is still in use in many, many applications across the world to this day.

Scrub it out well, even using a good detergent, and rinse. A power wash would be great. Once the chunks were all gone, I would mix the above and using a spray bottle, just mist the entire inside heavy and let it dry. Maybe twice. After that you would be good to go.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Super, that's just what I did! Just wasn't sure it was enough. Thanks for the input.

It was an especially awesome find as it was screwed together in panels, so I was actually able to take it completely apart to clean every nook and cranny. The only problem now is, I feel chicken math at work.............

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by