Cleaning a Stock Tank to use as a Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunflour, Feb 9, 2017.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The stock tank I used as a brooder has been outdoors for 4 years - it was only used for raising chicks and was stored under a lean to behind my shed - but has been subject to some rain water and whatever falling in it. I want to try to reuse it this spring again, but want to clean it to make sure it is a healthy environment for those baby chicks.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use to clean it that would be safe?

Or should I just get a new one?

2. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I found an older thread on the same issue and folks recommended bleach - I'm not sure that's chicken safe.

But maybe a diluted spray, scrub and then power wash and sun dry?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Bleach degrades into a harmless salt. Use a mild solution, rinse well, and let it air dry, preferably in the sun. Beware, that bleach is toxic to the soil organisms. I have a place in my yard where I dumped a strong bleach solution 3 years ago, and it is still dead. Hard packed and nothing will grow there. I'm composting on top of that spot now, hoping to infuse some life back into it.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for your response and info. I do have a place it cannot hurt.

5. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I doubt you need to do anything with it. Hose it out maybe? Then leave it out in the sun to dry it out, throw in some litter and off you go.

I have one out back that came with the place. It is rusted out with holes in the bottom. Not sure why I didn't use that myself?

1 person likes this.
  6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Gee, that's what my DH says :)

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I would also just rinse it out with water and let it dry.......The Chicks will be fine......

Cheers!

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You can scrub it out with a disinfectant, or use bleach, or not. At least a good rinse with the hose, dry in the sun, and use it. Mary

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Organic matter changes the bleach pretty quick thru oxidation, why you can't disinfect soil with bleach.
    Maybe the remaining salts that are toxic to any further growth?

Ditto Dat^^^
    No need for any disinfectant unless maybe prior chicks were diseased.

10. cscigu

cscigu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    That (old stock tank) is exactly what I've used for years. Works great for me. I simply spray it with some 409 type cleaner, hose it out, and let it dry in the sun. I cover the bottom in straw, which makes for semi-easy cleanup.

I generally keep some welded-wire across the top, and keep it in the barn with a light bulb. The wire with a couple boards to hold it down are a good idea when snakes are out. Obviously, the cold would be the thing to monitor right now. I usually do chicks in warmer weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by