1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

cleaning a very old coop

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bobi9459, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Bobi9459

Bobi9459 In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Black River Falls, Wis
    When my boyfriends mom died we took over the farm and the out buildings are very old The chicken coop was filled with junk cleaned it all out it needs a lot of loving tender care it will take some time. We did replace some of the old boards on the roof and put tin on it so now they can stay dry. I hear about cleaning real good how do you do this? Still working on making boxes for them right now have them in a big dog house on saw horses.

2. river-rat

river-rat Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    Central Ohio
    all that is really needed, it to make sure all foreign material is gone. if its in there, the chickens will try to eat it. as long as there are no staples, or nail heads or something like that it should be fine. try to spray it out with a hose if possible, let it dry. sounds like youve already taken care of the roof, but youll want to make sure there are no drafts in the coop floor and lower walls. chickens are pretty bulletproof, just make sure that if you are starting chicks that they are warm, have plenty of CLEAN water and food. ALSO make sure you use clean PINE bedding chips and not cedar (because of caustic oils) and no straw (to prevent played leggedness) does this answer your question or do you have something more specific? i hope this helps, good luck!

3. Bobi9459

Bobi9459 In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Black River Falls, Wis
    thanks thought I had to do something really drastic and I am not sure if I could

4. river-rat

river-rat Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    Central Ohio
    youre welcome! good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by