Cleaning a wormy chicken shed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedheadErin, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    The flock all has worms. We are going to clean out the shed and burn the straw to get rid of them. (Wormed the birds yesterday) What should I use to clean with? I was thinking bleach solution, but hubs thinks ammonia would be better.

Where do these worms come from, anyway? It's not like we have a bunch of strange chickens trooping in and out.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't know as you need to use anything at all. Just thoroughly clean the coop, removing all manure. The key will be to continue worming your flock on a regular basis. The wormer you gave them will get the worms they have now, it will not get the worm eggs. So you will need to repeat the deworming in 10 days.

As far as where worms come from... the environment. Wild birds get worms, lice, mites, so if you have wild birds, and who doesn't, there you go. Chickens constantly peck and scratch in the dirt and they'll pick up worms just like a cat, dog, horse, goat, cow, you name it. And a single worm can lay thousands of eggs, so it's best to stay on top of it!

What did you use to deworm them with?

3. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    I used pyrantel. The vet prescribed it for one chicken, and it cost like $100. So I got some Reese's Pinworm Medicine at the local drug store for $10 and used it for the others. Turns out it's the same exact thing, same dose and everything.

I is so SMART! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by