1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning after your chicks...ALOT! AM I OCD???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlickin8, May 14, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Am I OCD? My pullets are 10 weeks old now and I find myself cleaning my outside coop at least twice a day...not removing all the shavings (every 1 to 2 weeks for that) but I mean spot scooping messy poops that they might step in and track up onto the perches. The poop is like concrete when it dries. Plus I don't like the bottom of their feet to get yucky either. LOL! I have a pair of gloves and old washcloth I use to wash down the perches twice a day and I scoop up all the overnight poop quickly each morning before the girls fly down off the perch when they wake up. No stepping in the yucky poop and I add a little fresh shavings. I also dust and sweep the cob webs away from around the nesting boxes, shelves, and stuff. I clean out the feeder and wash out the water jug to get the slime film off it daily. I just want clean chickens...is that bad? [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Maybe just a liiiiitle OCD lol! But, if you have the time and it makes you happy then who cares!

3. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    chickies are messy lil buggers. would you mind stopping by my house later?[​IMG]

4. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Quote:Exactly what I was going to say!! [​IMG] And I bet you have some clean and happy chickens [​IMG]

5. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I could start a chicken coop cleaning business...LOL! [​IMG] and I do work full time too!

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    yes you are OCD

We clean the coop maybe every month. lol

the coop with the 6 week old pullets in it has a chat floor so there is no cleaning it! and they are out in the run most of the day.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I could start a chicken coop cleaning business...LOL! [​IMG] and I do work full time too!

Well there ya go, new business idea! I'd sign up but I'm a looooong way from you! And I think you'd faint if you saw inside my coop. Haven't done cobwebs for.... well, a little while, perches need a scraping.... Ok now you've made me feel guilty and I'll be cleaning my coop this weekend! [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My hubby was giving me a hard time about this. I'm the same way. I clean the poop up about 5 times a day. I love spending time with them and I don't want to step in it. I only have 3 in there right now. I can't imagine with all 8 as they poop a lot! I only put the bedding in the corner where they sleep and in the nest boxes. They walk on the cement floor and it's very simple to clean.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Ok, I feel better now if you clean up 5 times a day! [​IMG] Like you, I don't mind doing it and OCD people get such a good feeling when you see things all tidy and clean [​IMG]

10. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yes but we tend to panic when it's not!!!!! I have a kid next door who likes to clean for me, but i never let him put out fresh litter because what he doesnt know is I re-clean when he goes home. He does a great job for a 12yr guy, but I guess it's just OCD! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by