Cleaning Agi's bum

chickenlover432

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Proud Aussie
Hey guys,
My Agi has a really messy bottom and she's starting to smell!
I really want to try and clean her, but I don't know how! She's very fragile so I don't want to do what I did before* I also tried hosing her but the water shot right into the skin and she ran off squawking.

So could you give me some advice on how to clean her, and also what's the cause of her messy bum? (So I know how to prevent it from happening again)
Thanks,
Chickenlover

P.S. BTW all of my chickens have had that, but I just left it and it was fine.

P.P.S HELP?!

WARNING: this is gross,

* A while ago, the flies were intense, and they were everywhere. They layed eggs in Agi's bum, and eventually, she had maggot's crawling in and out of her. I knew I had to clean her or she would be eaten alive (They were feeding off her skin) So I got a large container, filled it up with warm water and a drop of Dettol. With the help of my brother and dad, we dipped her rear end in while my dad tried to clean them off with some cloth. It only took 5 minutes, though. But, I was amazed with the results, All the maggots had just curled up and died, and there were SO many of them. I think the Dettol killed them though.

Last edited:
Poor Agi! I was thinking about her the other day. :)

I am glad you got the maggots cleared up. The maggots usually feed on dead skin and what she has maybe linked to why she is so smelly.

I would wash her bottom in some sort of saline water or even epsom salts in hopes to kill any infection. (You may also have to trim some feathers around her vent) She could also have vent gleet which will also cause a stinky butt. After you get her dried off, rub on some vaginal cream to the entire vent area on the skin, to help kill off a possible yeast infection. Apply this daily for a week or two and see if this doesn't clear this issue up.

I would also get her on probiotics. The GI tract if out of balance, it can cause her a yeast infection as well. You can get ProBios on Amazon. I use them all the time for all my poultry.

http://www.amazon.com/Bomac-Vets-Plus-683008-PROBIOS-POWDER-CHR404/dp/B001BM1QRC

You can also post this question in our emergency section for more info as well....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with Agi and keep us posted!

Last edited:
One time won't do it with maggots - someone else had a gorgeous little white silkie and he had maggots that just kept coming out every time they cleaned him up. The vet said once they are inside they can migrate to all parts of the body and brain. They will feed on fresh flesh if they run out of dead.

Because he was so fluffy they didn't notice maggots or that he had a sore that started them off.

He was such a brave little guy, he survived despite the odds. But believe me owner & little rooster went thru the wringer to finally get them all cleaned out.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice from TwoCrows and drumstick diva on treating Agi. I would really trim a lot of the feathers away from her vent and the surrounding area so you can see what is going on, a lot easier to be sure you don't have fly strike again, like TwoCrows said vent gleet is something to really consider as being part of the problem. If all your other chickens have a messy butt, you might want to look at other things also, have you ever wormed them, is their anything in their diet that could be doing it etc.

Yes, I've heard that sometimes it's the diet. Loupe and Doris don't have it, but my other girls, Ruby and Pepi had very messy bottoms.

But I've actually leant down to look at her bum and I can't see any maggots crawling around, she also doesn't have any in her poop.

Agi's looking so healthy that I can't believe she would have something wrong with her!

Before I do what you suggested, are their any sign's that a chicken would have an infection?

I believe that she's only stinky because she has a lot of poop on her feathers, but I guess I will have to take your word for it, considering you ARE experts unlike me;-)

P.S. But I hope Agi doesn't have anything that serious

P.P.S. Can you tell if a chicken has maggots inside them?

Thanks again,
Chickenlover

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

You might try worming her to kill off any maggots or other internal worms that may be effecting her. Get some safeguard equine paste from the horse section of the feed store. Even walmart carries it. Put a pea sized dolup on a piece of bread and feed her one piece. Repeat in 12 days. This will kill off all worms, with the exception of tapeworms, that Agi might have.

And I would also do the vaginal cream on the vent area. This fungal infection is known to cause a smelly butt along with smelly feces.

Well her poop doesn't smell bad, (maybe that's just me:p)
Can you tell is a chicken has worms of any sort? Agi is light, but she's also very old.
I don't want to sound like a bad owner, but I'm afraid that I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a hen that is old and dying anyway, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but it's true.
P.S. I love Agi and I try to make her as comfortable as possible, I would never try to hurt her, but it's not much use, as I said to do all that.

P.P.S I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think she has all that much wrong with her, she's already been wormed BTW,
and she looks so healthy apart from her bottom. But I will clean her, and if she's still stinky then I will do what you suggested, but in between that time I don't think it's very necessary. I'm sorry for sounding rude, but I can't put it in any other way:-(

P.P.P.S. I put garlic in their mash, because I've heard it keeps worms and all the creepy crawlies away:)

P.P.P.P.S Thank you all so much, I'm so grateful for you caring and trying to help:)
Love you guys,
Chickenlover

P.P.P.P.P.S I wonder how many P's you can do?:p

Last edited:
Well her poop doesn't smell bad, (maybe that's just me:p)
Can you tell is a chicken has worms of any sort? Agi is light, but she's also very old.
I don't want to sound like a bad owner, but I'm afraid that I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a hen that is old and dying anyway, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but it's true.
P.S. I love Agi and I try to make her as comfortable as possible, I would never try to hurt her, but it's not much use, as I said to do all that.

P.P.S I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think she has all that much wrong with her, she's already been wormed BTW,
and she looks so healthy apart from her bottom. But I will clean her, and if she's still stinky then I will do what you suggested, but in between that time I don't think it's very necessary. I'm sorry for sounding rude, but I can't put it in any other way:-(

P.P.P.S. I put garlic in their mash, because I've heard it keeps worms and all the creepy crawlies away:)

P.P.P.P.S Thank you all so much, I'm so grateful for you caring and trying to help:)
Love you guys,
Chickenlover

P.P.P.P.P.S I wonder how many P's you can do?:p
If she has already been wormed, then I would try the vaginal cream on her vent and the probiotics in her water. Both of these will clear up any vent gleet. And if she doesn't have the gleet, the probiotics will really help her with digestion. Older birds have a hard time taking in nutrients and these will help with that.

Back
Top Bottom