Cleaning baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovetocook, Apr 4, 2009.

1. lovetocook

lovetocook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Washington, NJ
    What is the best way to clean poop off a 10 day old chicks back. One of her sisters pooped on her while she was sleeping. Unfortunately, I had to work & didn't find it till it was dry as a brick, stuck in her fluff.
    These are my first chicks ever & I am having such a blast with them, but I don't want to hurt her trying to get it out of her fluff. Any and all ideas please???

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    If you really wanna get it off then get some peroxcide and a Qtip. That should do the trick. But if you just leave it then it should come off on its own. Some times cleaning chicks stress them out so bad that they get sick and can die from it. So I try to avoid as much stress as possible.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    i usually just leave it, the others will notice it and pick it off, or they'll dust bathe in their shavings or bedding and clean it off.

If its really bad just scratch it off a little with your fingernail.

If she's COVERED and its matting her feathers so much that theyre pulling from the skin you can wash her gently in warm water and use a blow drier to fluff her back up.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    You can wet the poop to soften it up and then remove it. Try using a wash cloth or paper towel to wet it. If it is stuck to just a few feathers you might cut it off.

5. lovetocook

lovetocook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Washington, NJ
    Thanks so much for all your info. I think I will leave it alone & let nature take care of it for the time being. I've really got the fever I was just going to start with 3 or 4 chicks, somehow I've already got 11. This is more fun than anything I've experienced in a long time.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by