Cleaning Brinsea Octogan

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueoval1, May 3, 2009.

1. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Hey I just finished my first hatch and it was a great one. Now I am ready to clean my brinsea octogan 20 eco. I was reading the manual and it said to use brinsea cleaning solution. I dont have any and I was wondering how everyone else cleans their their octogan bators. Thanks

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I thought you could just put part of them in the dishwasher? Sorr I don't have one.. but I thought that was one of the niceties of those . I wouldnt think you'd need their cleaner a mild bleach solution to wipe down the parts you cant put in the dishwasher should be fine.

Nancy

3. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Hmm I thought you could put the bottom part in the dishwasher, probably in the top part.
    But otherwise you could just handwash it out with a cleaning product that has a disinfectant in it. Like Mr. Clean or something... That should do it...
    oh and im curious to as what your hatch rate was with it? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  4. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I am in the same boat... I was wondering the same thing!

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I clean bottom part of my ECO soaking it in detergent and bleach solution, then rinsing it really well then and drying it up in the sun.

I hope no bacteria can survive this treatment.

6. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Thanks everyone I hatched 13 chicks out of 21 eggs and the others were not fertile or damaged during shipping. I was suprised to have this good of a hatch because it was my first one and I did not raise the humidity like I should have.

Pascapol: I read the manual and it said not to submerge the bottom peice because fluid might get trapped inside, Just thought you like might to know.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

i clean the bottom part with peroxide. Spray it down, and let it sit 10-15 min. Then rinse and scrub with hot water.

8. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    I don't think using bleach is a good idea...., the bator is plastic and it may cause the color to fade prematurely. Peroxide, soap, and warm water is probably your best bet.

9. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

The hood of the eco can be vaccuumed out to get the little fuzzy/dusty bits left behind by hatched chicks. You could also probably blow it out with the canned air used to clean computer keyboards.

10. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    I cleaned mine with soap and water and light bleach. Then took the top apart and cleaned it with Windex. While it was apart, I found a perfect little spot to put my small analog hygrometer so it is right up top and easy to read. Very easy to remove to calibrate when needed.

I like the peroxide idea and the mouth wash idea, too. Both will clean it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by