1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning Cages and Shipping Eggs for Eatin

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lelu, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    Poop keeps building up in the corners of my cage so tomorrow I'm going to take the girls out and do a thorough cleaning. What solution should I use to help me clean and sanitize? I know mixing ammonia (aka bird poop) and bleach is a big no no because of toxic fumes. I use vinegar on my rat cages, but it's kinda stinky.Maybe Vodka? We used that in theater to deodorize costumes... hmm.. Any ideas?

Next, this Christmas I am sending out baskets filled with produce and spices I've made from home. I would love to include some unfertilized quail eggs in the package... but would they survive? There's a lot of info on shipping hatching eggs, but not so much on eggs for eatin'. I know Europeans don't refrigerate eggs... I was going to do two day shipping, but will they survive the temps of a shipping truck? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    I use beach/water mixed at a 50/50 ratio. Never had a problems with "fumes" but I've always been outside while doing it. I also add lime to the places where it piles up a little to control diseases and such. As for the eggs, if they are packed good and shipped 3 day express, they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by