Cleaning Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by terrilhb, Dec 26, 2010.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Hello. I am new to raising chickens. I have 14 right now. 2 Rhode Island Red Roosters 11 RIR Hens, 1 Bantam Rose Comb Rooster. 2 Goats, 2 dogs and 3 cats. Can anyone tell me how often they clean their chicken coops. I have read 1 or 2 times a year. I do mine weekly. It needs to be scrubbed down but it is to cold now. Would appreciate any help Thanks

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I just pick up the obvious poop every morning, add shavings occasionally and replace it all every 6-8 weeks. I have not scrubbed it. [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    A lot may depend on how large your coop is, how good the ventilation, what you use for bedding etc. I have a very, small raised coop so I clean off the poop board daily and scoop any big, wet clumps off the floor. I add shavings as needed, turning them into the old and sprinkle DE around frequently to help keep things dry. I did a thorough cleaning in early Sept and don't plan on it again until spring. Because I keep a fairly deep level of shavings, the floor stays dry and it doesn't smell.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I clean mine weekly. I'm going to stretch it out a few more days because it's gonna be too cold.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I clean mine in late fall and then in the spring. I also use deep shavings so I can just turn it over. [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I clean mine when it's time to put the stuff on the garden. But it's large, dirt floor, very airy, and has lots of litter.

You can pick up the obvious poops and add some pine shavings to a small coop, and extend your weekly cleaning time as needed to suit the weather. Works better with a poop board, or at least is easier.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I hose my coops completely clean once a week (they have wire bottoms or wood slat bottoms) with the exception of my shed coop, which I scrape the floor of clean every morning.

I hose the shed down on the inside um - well, I have only done that once. I sprinkle sweet PDZ down every day in the shed.

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

9. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by