Cleaning Chicken Waterers

Orpingtons43

Songster
Dec 27, 2017
Im going to get ALL of the icky slimy stuff out of my chicken waterers... If I mixed up some water and vinegar, would that be okay to use?
Thanks!

For cleaning vinegar is great natural cleaner. . But if it’s metal Id opt for something different. Metal and vinegar don’t work well together unless you know it stainless... but even when it’s stainless some places will make the small pieces ( springs and such)out of cheaper metal that will rust with vinegar

@tjo804 love the brush idea! exactly right. If plastic I’d prefer white vinegar cleaner rather than chemical. And I’ve noticed giving since I started giving them 1-2 Tbs of ACV in gallon of water once or twice s week I feel they don’t get as dirty as fast. Plus super good for health just like humans!

@tjo804 love the brush idea! exactly right. If plastic I’d prefer white vinegar cleaner rather than chemical. And I’ve noticed giving since I started giving them 1-2 Tbs of ACV in gallon of water once or twice s week I feel they don’t get as dirty as fast. Plus super good for health just like humans!

I used to put ACV with Mother in the water (1T/1gal) but during the WARM weather, found the water gets slimy and unless you're changing & scrubbing every day, black spots will appear in the waterer (must be plastic with vinegar). So now I ferment the feed & do an initial ACV/water when I get new chicks for a week. The chick waterer is easy to scrub out, the big girls use the horizontal water nipples so they get plain water.

I clean my house with white vinegar, never tried my chicken supplies which I've converted all to plastic.

I also use a wee bit of Meyers dish soap on the green scrubber side of a yellow sponge/green scrubber do-dad to clean my water dispensers (white reservoir with a detachable red trough) and I rinse them very well before refilling with water. I have a toothbrush for the nooks/crannies that collect dirt & just don't want to come clean, too.

As for using white vinegar to clean their water gizmos, I keep saying "I should get the white vinegar for this", but I never seem to remember. They do get Bragg's Organic ACV in their water though. In the warmer months, I change water daily. I know they enjoy fresh, clean, cold water because they drink with such obvious relish on their little faces.

Back
Top Bottom