Cleaning Chicken

MRKenyon

Hatching
Dec 10, 2016
My chickens head feathers are matted and I would like advice on how to clean the head or whether or not I even should.
Note:I think it is blood matting her feathers but i can find no cuts.
Any advice is appreciated

Last edited:
Sound like maybe she's being pecked. Some more information about your set up and birds would help people to figure out what you are dealing with. I've never had a bird with matted feathers. A photo could help too to understand what you are seeing.

My birds are free range and I have 12 of them (10 chickens 2 ducks) 3 of which are roosters (We are currently looking for a home for the mean rooster) and here are some pics of the afflicted hen.

Last edited:
That looks to be from a rooster grabbing on during mating. I would watch to see which rooster is being so rough and get rid of him as that's excessive, actually I would get rid of two and possibly all three roosters as they may get over mated, as you hen to rooster ratio is a bit short on the hen part. Usually it's one rooster to ten hens approximately. That should heal up without any intervention as long as no one else is pecking at her. Poor girl.

Poor girl, she can't be very comfortable with the matted bloodied feathers. Maybe you could bring her in the house and give her a good bath, soaking those feathers to get her clean and comfy, and probably smelling a lot better. If you find anything that needs treating you could use Neosporin (No cain formula). If she looks sore and red after the bath spray her with blue kote so the other hens won't peck on her (they go nuts over red/blood) Make sure she is completely dry before putting back into coop.

I might try to spot clean that mess as she can't reach it to preen it clean.
Just use a very damp rag, over and over, to loosen and wipe away the blood.
Where are you located?
Climate can make a big difference whether you spot clean or give a full bath.

Back
Top Bottom