Cleaning coop question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GRAM49, Jul 29, 2008.

1. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    How often do you clean the bedding out of your hen houses? We have an 8x10 house with staw over a previously laid vinly floor. My hubby wants to do it once a month, but I try and hold out longer. Right now it is divided for big chicks and babies. The big chicks go out every day in a pen, but the babies are confined 24/7 for the next few weeks. The straw is only 3 weeks old and the hen house really smells bad right now. It is hot, but we keep two windows open for ventilation, day and night. Was just hoping for some thoughts from some veterans.

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
  3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I use hay in my nesting boxes and shavings on the floor, i'm pretty sure im going to switch to shavings in the boxes for a few reasons.... The cost of a bale of hay is $8 where i am, also the hay does mold fast when it gets wet and the poop just kinda sticks to it !!! I clean out my coop once a week (on saturday) if it gets real wet from the rain I will do it more often.

4. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Straw is about $5 here but you sound much like me. I don't know the cost of the shavings in my area either to compare. Thanks for all comments.

5. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a newbie and I use straw. My coop is about 4 x 4 and has a chicken wire floor and poop tray over half. Every morning I scrape the poo over to the wire section so it drops through and then I empty the tray about once a week.

Sometimes the straw is wet and I'll either remove it completely, or sort of fluff it to let the floor of the coop dry.

I've had them in their run almost two months and haven't cleaned out the run yet -- have been just adding more straw every once in a while.

Anyone know the price of pine shavings? It sounds like I might do well to switch, at least for inside the coop.

6. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I buy mine at a local feed store/nursery and it's about $6.00/bale which is 9.75 cubic feet loose or 3.25 CF compressed. I bought 3 bags when we first finished the coop in May and I still have 1 full and one 3/4 full bags left.

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I use shavings - or did-am switching to sand- and cleaned every 2 -3 weeks minimum.I am hoping to rake the sand weekly.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use hay. My chickens are out in the "run" during the day, and go up in the inside during the night. So I have no problem using hay.
    It doesnt get wet. etc.

I just cleaned the coop out about 1 hour ago. It was so dusty! I sweeped it out, knocked down the cob webs, and put new hay in. The Silkies were very happy.

Here is a pic of my coop from last year after it was built.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by