cleaning coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by suki, Apr 13, 2009.

1. suki

suki New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    After reading various stories of running for the shower after unwittingly being subjected to a mite infestation I an becoming OCD about the cleanliness of my chicken shed. [​IMG]:)
    I would rather prevent than deal with an infestation, any recommendations for effective cleaning products and disinfectants? I am especially interested in any home made solutions.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't know if I'd call it homemade but I use dish detergent to mop once a week and once a month after the mopping I go over it again with dilute clorox to kill more germs. etc...

3. suki

suki New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    Thank you would i need to use an insect repellent too?
    I have used jayes fluid in other pet environments, unsure how effective this would be with red mite though.

4. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    Fresh air and sunlight are the biggest enemies of microbes. It is my opinion that too much cleaning can be detrimental to the health of birds in the same way that the obsessive use of antimicrobial products in the home is creating resistant strains of bacteria. Chickens are chickens. They live outside and groom themselves and generally do a pretty good job of keeping themselves clean. That outdoor environment(including the coop) is full of beneficial microbes as well as the nasty ones. Sanitizing the chickens environment could ultimately do more harm than good. As far as parasites are concerned, it seems that the use of diatomaceous earth and a broader standard of cleanliness can keep them from being a problem.

5. bathsheba8542

bathsheba8542 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Glenelg
    Hi - I'm new and my chicks are just 5 weeks old. They are currently in and out of their brooder, in their coop with shavings for bedding on top of rubber mats, on top of a stone floor. I will have roosting branches over rubber mats, and nesting boxes on the opposite side, also over rubber mats. As they are bigger and are going outside into their pen and around our farm, what do I need to keep on the floor in terms of depth of shavings? I was thinking that I'd try to keep the area under the roosting branches with only a scattering of shavings to clean out every day, and maybe a little more in the center of the coop? An inch or two?

Thoughts?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mites are not a problem to humans -- they may crawl on you for a few hrs after being in a mite-y coop, but they cannot *live* on you, nor infest the house in any way. (They need birds in order to complete their life cycle).

Close attention to the birds will allow you to detect the beginnings of a mite/lice problem and treat it immediately (with DE, sevin, rotenone dust, whatever you prefer). Minimizing cracks and crevices in the coop will make it easy to knock out any mite/lice problem that may develop.

That's probably a whole big lot better idea than spamming the coop with insecticides out of paranoia [​IMG]

I honestly cannot see any good reason for using disinfectants in a coop unless you have some known disease, and then what's best to use depends on whatcha got goin'.

Prevention is better than cure; and prevention is basically a matter of good animal husbandry, not chemicals.

JMHO,

Pat

7. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    Quote:However you arrange the bedding material in the coop, the birds will undo it.

8. bathsheba8542

bathsheba8542 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Glenelg
    I love that answer...they've already 'undone' every ounce of 'tidy' I've tried to add!

Good news is they've already figured out that bugs are food, so they are already earning their keep even though they are (to an OCD-clean freak) unbelievably messy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by