cleaning coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k625, Sep 21, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hey everyone, I wanted to know how you guys clean out your sand run/coop. I have sand all on the bottom, no shavings or anything, so it dries out nicely, and I rake over it to get up to poop and stuff, it just seems like maybe there is something better? Just thought I would ask how you guys clean out the sand runs, and how often you do it. I only have 4 silkies, so not too much of a mess.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I dont have sand in mine....but I would think rakeing itwold bea great way. Or maybe you could use a kitty litter scoop??

3. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    oh yeah kitty scooper would work really good! Thanks! [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't have a sand run either... I just pick up the coops and move them...

5. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Oh well that works too, but there is def no picking mine up, its 8x8x8 lol way too havy, and then they have a nice dog house to go into to sleep at night haha. spoiled little chicks!!

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I built a raised, hardware cloth bottom, coop at the edge of the woods in an area where there is an eternity of natural mulch built up from the leaves of the pines and oaks that overhang the coop/run area. The poop falls through the wire and what doesn't gets water blasted with pressure nozzel to the ground below. There are several inches of natural mulch that it then gets scratched into by the chickens. So, I guess I could say mine is "self-cleaning". Have never had to clean out the run and it does not stink and I sit out there in my chairs with the chicks many times a day. It is the most pleasant place to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by