Cleaning coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pamduff, Oct 19, 2011.

1. pamduff

pamduff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    I have a question I am sure someone can help me with. We have a raised coop and the floor is made from an old pallet. At first we did not put anything in it but then decided to put hay to help with clean up. My question is about the deep litter method. Is it okay to leave the hay and simply add to it. I am having a hard time not worrying about the waste. But I have read a lot about the benefits of letting it add up and only cleaning once or twice a year. We are composting what we pull out (new to that as well lol). And while I am on the subject...we have some chicks in a brooder and using hay for them as well. I have the same question about allowing it to build and simply adding to it. I would appreciate any help I can get. [​IMG]:D
    Thanks!

2. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    For the chicks keep it clean. For the big birds I do the winter DLM and clean in spring then I clean once more in late summer, and again right before I start the winter litter. I use shavings tho. The hay should be fine, but it will bind together so the spring clean will be difficult.

3. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Thanks. Any advice on making it easier to clean in spring?

4. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    I would suggest put a tarp down first and then you take the whole lot out in one go.

5. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    How big is the floor? in my current coop a 8x10 shed the weight would be too much for a one pull clean.... now if I hook it up to my lawn mower...... but fences and coop doors etc. still the mower might work.

6. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:The floor (coop) is 4 feet by about 6 1/2 feet. Made from pallets. My boyfriends idea was that the poop would neatly fall between the boards of the pallets. Well needless to say it aint working that way LOL. Our first time at this. Still trying to figure out why (since this was his idea and project) I am the one cleaning! I love them and would not give them away if I could but dang....

7. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    cover the floor with OSB(ply wood) then put down the bedding. This will make cleaning MUCH easier. also invest in a pitch fork they help lots in the cleaning.

8. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Our Barn Floor is cement. We use hay. We have a pooper scooper and pick up as much as we can when we see it. AND we keep adding clean hay.

Once a year we take ALL out and hose down the Barn. Put all back and start with fresh hay.

We use the old hay for mulch. Works Fine. Regards, Aria

9. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone! I think I know just the thing...we even talked about doing it at one point and since I am doing the cleaning I believe i will mention it again. The hardest thing for me is that getting into the coop to adequately spread everything. Hmmm I will give that matter some thought! Thanks again for all your help and if anyone has anymore suggestions I would love to hear them! I am finding that there are almost as many ways to do things as there are types of chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by