Cleaning Crochet?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 22, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I know nothing about cleaning these types of things, but I have a hand-crocheted quilt that was made by my great grandmother.

It's covered in dust/dirt and I'm sure mouse pee/turds all over it. (I've been attempting to clean out my brother's house of any memories/valuables.)Is there anything I can do to clean it? Other than the bathtub, I have nothing bigger to hand clean it in. Can I put it on a gentle cycle in the washing machine? I'm afraid the dryer would ruin the fiber. Will the color (mostly white with sage green "rosettes") be ruined when I wash it?

Do I lay it out to dry or can I hang it over the shower rod to let it dry?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd be really scared to put something that big and old in the washer. I wash all my crocheted pieces (nothing nearly that big)just by gentley dunking them in warm soapy water and rinsing and then laying flat to dry. Is it possible to dry clean something like that?

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I would wash it in the tub in lukewarm water. You may need to do it a few times. Don't use harsh detergents, maybe just dish soap. Be gentle and take your time. Lay it out flat on a bunch of towels to dry.

Good luck.

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    If it were newer, I would say washer would be fine, on gentle, but with it being old, handwashing would be best. Use the mildest detergent you can find, or Ivory soap. (My detergent is homemade with Ivory) Never hang it, it will stretch out. Always lay flat, especially when it is wet.

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    This is just a thought, but what about a front loader on a handwash cycle? Is it possible? I've got a front loader and the reason I'm suggesting that is there are no baffles for the yarn to get caught on. Well, there are baffles, but nothing can get caught on them, not like in an older top loading washer. Just a suggestion and I am curious, because I was given a beautifully crocheted afghan years ago and while it is packed away, someday it will need to be cleaned. Good luck and I hope you find an answer!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Roll up your sleaves and hand wash it then hang it out on a clothes line well supported. It you just hang it on a couple places it will stretch out real bad. Wool can get moldy, musty if it takes to long to dry

Steve

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I haven't needed to wash my grandmother's crocheted quilts in years (they hardly get out of the closet anymore) But back in the day I would wash in cool water in the bathtub with an inexpensive shampoo, something like white rain, then a rinse in plain water, then a short soak in cool water with a bottle of a hair conditioner, like suave clean rinse. Gently squeeze and blot as dry as possible then flat dry. The conditioner kept them soft.

Imp- seems funny to call a crocheted blanket/spread a quilt.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Sorry Imp, used to calling anything that covers your bed that isn't "without intentional holes" are known as blankets. Those with the "intentional holes" are quilts.

May just be my neck of the woods though.

Steve, thanks for the idea! If you don't have a clothesline (apartment complex) can you think of any improvs?

Katy, I hadn't thought of dry-cleaning. That's an idea. I don't even know of a dry-cleaner near me, but I'm sure there is one!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't try hanging it up to dry...it will stretch all out of shape.

I don't know if dry cleaning would work or not, but it might be worth looking into.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

If you don't have a clothesline (apartment complex) can you think of any improvs?

You have boyfriend yes? Mental picture here coming up. Have him stand up and spread his arms out wide..... what a great clothes line! Turn a fan on him and it might dry before his arms give out.

1,2,3 all together now

SHUT UP STEVE​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by