Cleaning eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wxdude99, Dec 22, 2008.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I haven't gotten any eggs yet, but I was wondering, how do you clean them? Thanks

2. Chirp

Chirp New Egg

Jul 2, 2008
    I don't. They are usually pretty clean, but if not I just give it a swipe with a paper towel. Into the fridge they go.[​IMG]

Fesh eggs have a natural coating ( I think it's called "bloom") that help maintain freshness.

3. ShellnOkla

ShellnOkla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Barnsdall/Avant/Boonies
    :frowSome say too not clean them until you use them..... But me??? well if mine are dirty i wipe them with a damp paper towel i cant handle putting any dirty egg in my frig... anyway some do clean theirs and others dont, its up too you,[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  4. wxdude99

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    Wow. Do you clean them right before you cook them?

5. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Maybe I'm not supposed to because of that coating, but mine are usually dirty so I clean them with warm water while rubbing them gently between my hands almost like I'm wringing out a towel.

If one brakes, it lets me know that I need to give the hens more crushed oyster shell. Usually though, they do not break when I clean them.

I was always under the impression that they needed to be very clean especially if you sell the extra like I do - to protect against salmonella?

Experts please chime in here.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    When you wash off bloom you open pores in egg for bacteria to enter the egg. If an egg has a little poop spot I use a xtra fine sanding pad and rub it off gently. If you go to search you will find lots of information about washing eggs.

Some states have a law against washing eggs for commercial egg producers.

7. wxdude99

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I've just been reading a lot after doing a search. I think I'll wash them just before I eat them. But it does seem a little nasty to put the eggs in my frige without cleaning them. Thanks for the info.

8. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:Wow I had no idea. Good to know!

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If you keep you nesting boxes clean the eggs should stay pretty clean.
    As far as the ditry eggs in the fridge go. Do you evey think of the places your food form the store has come in contact with? At least I know where my chickens butts have been. LOL

10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by