Cleaning eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ravynwood, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    I am really wanting to get a more expert opinion on the best way to clean eggs. I have heard you can wash them, do not get them wet, use a paper towel, sand paper.

I am coming here to the experts to finally get a honest and best answer.

Ravyn

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Sand paper is good for cleaning off little bits of dirt, keeps you from having to wash them when you gather them.

Ideally, you should not wash them when you gather them; they have a coating called "bloom" on them that helps protect the egg, and if the bloom is left on the egg, it will keep longer. Eggs slowly lose moisture over time, and a protected egg will lose less.

You can use sandpaper to clean up bits of dirt, this will only remove the bloom in that little spot.

If the egg is really dirty, wash it and dry it, or discard it.

Wash the egg before using it, rather than when gathering it when possible.

Commercial eggs in the US are now required to be washed. They're washed in a detergent-sanitizer mix, dried, and then typically a thin layer of mineral oil is applied to replace the bloom. You should still wash commercial eggs before using them, though. Broken egg spills on conveyer belts and such can cause contaminents to end up on commercial eggs.

3. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    I always wash my eggs in warm water using a sponge to wipe them off. then I put them in the frig right away. I know most will say not to do this but I've never had a problem. plus I sell my eggs so I want them looking there best. always make sure your eggs are dry before putting them in the frig and use warm water to clean them. keeps the bacteria out.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I also wash all my eggs in warm water and store in the fridge. I don't think it's completely neccessary. If you decide to not wash them, be careful that you don't cross contaminate other items or food. Chances are rare, but...

Imp- I wash everything I'm kinda like a raccoon that way

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

This topic has been beat to death on here and you will get tons of info using the search button up top. You will get mixed reviews for this question. I personally never ever wash an egg with any liquid, but I do keep a small bucket of play sand in my hatching house to knock off poop. Put the egg in the bucket of sand and rub the egg with the sand and it will get it squeaky clean with out scratching it up.

6. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Quote:I wash and dry the ones we give away. If you use warm water and dry them, it won't hurt them. They just won't likely keep quite as long as eggs with the bloom intact, but eggs keep a long time either way.

I think the "leave the bloom on" stems from having eggs start to stack up in your 'fridge faster than you can use them; with the no-wash way they keep better until you can have a rainy day use-up-eggs any way you can weekend!

7. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Oh, I really like the bucket of sand idea!!!! its perfect!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by