Cleaning eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jim s, Dec 1, 2009.

1. jim s

jim s Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Hi all. I really enjoy reading posts. I have had chickens since July and they are starting to lay eggs. What a great experience seeing the first egg. My neighbor girl wants to help collects eggs too, which is really fun. My question is, what are options for cleaning eggs with poop on them? I know chickens lay with a protective coat on the eggs. I want to give some eggs away and the ones with poop on them are a bit unsightly. Can I wash and tell people to use them soon, and how soon?

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I would expect that even if you wash you eggs they will still last longer than store eggs. With that said I don't think you even need to bring up the issue.

From what I have read I'm thinking you eggs are good easily for 8 weeks in the fridge. If you wash them I would deduct 2 weeks from that.

Just my estimate

PS. I only wash the really dirty ones with very warm water.

Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Commerical eggs are stored up to 45 days before being shipped to your store, they are washed & bleached.

so you have plenty of time after washing to use them. I only wash the really nasty ones, otherwise I just use a soft rag to wipe them off when I collect them.

If you choose to wash, be sure to use water 101 degrees , so it doesn't pull in bacteria.

4. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I guess you learn something new everyday, I thought if you were selling them you weren't supposed to wash em. Haha

I was just keeping all the dirty ones to myself.

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Frankly, I'd just keep the dirty ones and give away the nice ones. With ours, I rub off chicken crap with my gloves and then we wipe them with a wet cloth right before using them.

The real question, though, is why are you getting enough dirty ones to worry? Mine stay pretty clean, except when I had a new layer who decided to let fly right in the muddiest part of the run :p

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I wash all of my eggs the night I collect them. I use plain water as hot as I can stand, let them dry, carton them and immediately refrigerate them. After supplying my family, I sell any extras at Church and never have any eggs carried over to the next week.

7. jim s

jim s Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I am probably more sensitive to stuff on the eggs, it is not alot, but small dark streeks of poop is not uncommon. Out of 4 dozen eggs, I probably have a dozen that I want to clean. They lay in the nesting boxes and the boxes are clean. I do scrape off anything that will come off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by