Cleaning eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Puma, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Puma

Puma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Riverside
    Does anyone have a plan for an egg washer? They sell commercially for around $125.00. I can't afford that.

2. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Eh... I don't really bother with washing them. If you do, don't until right before you crack it.

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:if u wash or take a cloth to clean them off then u take of that film to protect the egg and then bacteria could go into then u will have the same kind of trouble like we had with the store bought eggs this year.

i tell people to wash there off before using them.

i only wash my pooped or bloody eggs off and separate them from others and if i don't used them in four days then my flock have them

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mostly I leave mine alone... if there's one spot of poo I try to peck it off, at most I'll use fingers and water to get it off then use that egg right away. If it's REALLY icky then that's one that gets scrambled up and given back to the girls.

Luckily they haven't figured this out or I bet they'd be making a mess more often. [​IMG]

Was at Aldi... what last month was it? They had eggs on for like 49c a dozen... and our girls weren't producing a ton (too hot I think) so I thought about it... until I opened the carton and saw that over half were COVERED in poop... opened another and it was the same PLUS one had a feather all but glued to it by poop. YUK! You'd think in a conveyor situation that wouldn't happen THAT often.

I passed, we ate a few less eggs, and then they picked up laying and we're all happen again.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:Bucket, fish tank air pump, 3 feet of tubing with a large air bubbler stone on the end in the bottom of the bucket.

6. clyde6021

clyde6021 New Egg

Sep 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    I've been washing my eggs everyday before frig for the past month now. I saw on here don't wash them. I've been eating them. I hope it not bad to make me sick. Please help

7. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    I don't was the eggs either. They go right in the basket on the counter and are eaten within a few days! (Haven't had any icky eggs yet, so I haven't had to wash any) ~Beulah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by