1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cleaning eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pmill39, Nov 30, 2010.

1. pmill39

pmill39 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    Just wondering how fellow byc members clean eggs what you use ?[​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Just flick the pooh off and go!

3. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Mine are 98% clean when I get them from the nesting boxes...for those that have some spec on them I dampen a paper towel and wipe off the spec. I do not wash my eggs prior to refrigerating.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I run hot water over them, let them sit for a minute to soften up any poo, wipe them dry with a terry cloth rag, and then place in cartons.

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Quote:This is exactly what I do. We get about 8-9 eggs per day and maybe 1 or two will have a tiny speck of something. They are very clean really.

6. MD Chicken chic

MD Chicken chic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Maryland
    Mine are pretty clean too. I usually don't wash them prior to refrigerating them unless there's pooh stuck on them that won't come off with a paper towel. There's a coating on them that acts as a natural antibiotic/barrier and washing them washes it off. The eggshell is porous so once the coating is off, bacteria can get in the egg. This is what I've heard anyway. If I have a dirty egg, I'll wash it in hot water right before I use it. I keep my nest boxes clean, and that seems to help...unless it's muddy, and then you can forget it. I have a friend who uses a little bit of sandpaper to rub off the stubborn stuff, but I'm not sure if that rubs off the coating or not. Seems like it would, but I really don't know.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Mine are clean most of the time too. I put them in a basket on the counter and just do the spot clean, if necessary, before eating or giving away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by