1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SDPeep, Feb 9, 2011.

1. SDPeep

SDPeep New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    Hi,
    I'm pretty new to the BYC thing. Have 20 RIR's, 4 Barred Rocks and 4 Americaunas in the brooder now. Thinking ahead to when they start laying, I was wondering if/how others here clean eggs before putting them in cartons. Did some searching but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

2. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    If you use the search button under the menu bar on this forum, you'll be searching from information on this website. Lots of discussion on egg washing and care. Enjoy the reading and then make a decision on what works best for you.

3. SDPeep

SDPeep New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks. for some reason, using the search function on the site wasn't returning related results. I'll try again.

4. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    If you're having trouble searching the site, check to make sure you signed in. I learned that the other day...

5. SDPeep

SDPeep New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    Yep, made sure I was signed in and still getting unrelated results. I've tried 'cleaning eggs' and 'egg cleaning' and get a bunch of results that seemingly have not relationship to the search query. I'm sure those words are in a lot of threads that aren't titled egg cleaing so I guess I'll have to delve deeper.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think if you search washing, rather than cleaning you might get better results. This has been discussed lots and there are a couple of thoughts on it.
    1- Never wash unless heavily soiled. Be careful that you do not cross contaminate other items in your kitchen.
    2- Always wash. If you do wash eggs make sure you use hot water, and refrigerate after washing. Washing in cold can potentially cause the egg to shrink and pull bacteria into the egg. And washing washes off the protective bloom.

Imp- I wash

7. SDPeep

SDPeep New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks! I'll give that a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by