1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by megnchicks, Mar 25, 2011.

1. megnchicks

megnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynchburg, VA
    OK so I have been reading up on eggs and what not and learned about blood rings and how they are caused by bacteria and what not. My question is should you clean your eggs before you put them in the bator? When I got my eggs the lady I purchased them from said she doesn't clean the poo off or anything because that is how they are of they are layed on by a chicken. So shoudl I clean the pee off the eggs or keep it there?

M

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    I Wouldn't. You glean the Bator before you put eggs in and after you take hatchlings out.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Don't clean the eggs before putting them in the incubator. If there is too much poo [​IMG] on an egg you can slightly chip it off.

4. Freebird Poultry

Freebird Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Morton, Ms
    It is OK to clean hatching eggs if it is done properly. NEVER wash them. They can be wiped with a dry cloth or steel scouring pad. Do not use any liquids or chemicals. Don't worry about the stains, just the fecal matter. Rule of thumb; if you cannot feel the dirt, it won't hurt.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It is better to take a damp paper towel and gently wipe the dirt/fecal matter off the egg than to set a dirty egg.

Many folks dip their eggs (not wash) in Oxine solution prior to setting. Greatly reduces bacteria without washing off the bloom.

6. mbnewby

mbnewby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    i did a study on this and cleaned some egg with a wash cloth and water and i got the sane reuslt of theggs i didnt wash so know i wash all my eggs the scientific evedenmce say there is much to gain and nothing to lose about having clean eggs

7. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I would like to see a bird clean her eggs before sitting on them:lol: just playing. I wash all my eggs (rinse) before incubating and never had a problem. IMO I think its ok to rinse off the poo with warm water quickly dry and in the incubator.

P.S. I dont wash them until i have enough to put in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by