Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
Nope - eggs store best unwashed. When the hen lays an egg, she covers the egg with a "bloom". This protects the egg from bacteria. When you wash an egg, you wash off that protection.

Ehirning

Chirping
7 Years
May 18, 2012
I don't wash my eggs for this very reason. If I am giving eggs away, I will wash them (other people don't like to see poo on their eggs)
ep.gif

joebcarr

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Cleveland, NY
i used to not wash them, but my hens tend to leave them a mess. i store them unwashed until i plan on giving them away. then i use warm water. and a scotchbrite pad. it seems that people are more concerned with the messy eggs than with the potential for bacteria. i tried to educate a few people on the "bloom", but they just looked at me weird. i do not wash the eggs that i save for myself.

HenFriend

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2012
West Wales, UK
I agree, I don't usually wash them unless I am giving them away or just before I use them if they are really mucky, otherwise bits of poo might drop into my cake mix when I crack the shells!
sickbyc.gif
. Don't often refridgerate them either, they keep fine as they are.

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
It's a very rare occasion when I get a poopy egg. Sometimes in the winter, when it's really been raining, they get a bit muddy from hens crawling in and out of the nest. I just try to collect them a bit more often. Keeping your hens from sleeping in the boxes and refreshing the nest material often and you get clean eggs 99% of the time.

5th lake chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
thanks for confirming what I have read. My eggs have been very clean so far. It's funny my mom used store our farm fresh eggs in a basket on the cupboard too. Most of us have become too citified. (I think that's a word) Raising chickens is bringing me back to my roots. A very good feeling.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom