1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning feathers??

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by BigSkyChickie, Oct 26, 2008.

1. BigSkyChickie

BigSkyChickie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Montana
    One of the perks of having my pretty birds is the pretty feathers I find laying about. I've been wanting to do something crafty with them, but I'm not sure how to go about cleaning them first. And I must clean them, I'm just that way. Would a bath in a sink of mild soapy water ruin them? Any other ideas??
    TIA!
    Megan

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i hear baby shampoo works good ,,, i only keep my peacocks feathers,, and havent washed them yet,, so im really not much help lol [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Dawn dish soap, the original blue kind, is used by wildbird rehabbers after an oil spill because it allows the feathers to be cleaned without stripping out the natural water-resistant properties of the feather. I'd use that.

4. BigSkyChickie

BigSkyChickie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Montana
    Cool! I have both, but I'll give the dishsoap a try first since it's cheaper.[​IMG] Thanks to both of you for speedy answers!

Megan

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Use Dawn, gentle but effective!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by