Cleaning feeders and waterers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RedJasper, May 28, 2010.

1. RedJasper

RedJasper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Mid to Upstate New York
    What are the best products for cleaning the chick and chicken feeders and waterers? Is a regular dish soap OK? I am trying to "go green". Can vinegar or hydrogen peroxide be used?

The dish soap I have is certified bio-degradable and safe for aquatic life. It is Planet brand. Is this OK?

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I used cider vinegar and water. And add a few drops the the adult birds'water as it helps keep their gut in good working order.

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:This is also what I do.

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I don't wash mine with any cleaner.For the older chicks and the hens I clean their waterers about once a week. I dump the out and since them good with just water. If there is an dirt or slime starting to form I just wipe it down with hand under running water. A few times this winter is was pretty cold but most of the year it works fine for me.

For chicks under 5 weeks old I clean their waterer once or twice a day. Agin only using my hand to wipe it down. No soap.

I probably should be doing something better but this seems to work. Chickens are not very fussy. They seem to prefer to drink from a mud puddle than a clean waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by