1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning lots of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenMamaSamm, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ChickenMamaSamm

ChickenMamaSamm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    ne pa
    I know everyone feels something different about cleaning eggs. I sell my eggs so I wash them. I have a little over 20 hens so I get a lot of eggs. I hate cleaning them it takes forever. I was searching for a better way to clean them, I saw a few YouTube Videos that led me to this idea. I dug out a foot spa I got as a gift years ago and scrubbed it out and filled it with water and put the eggs in to have a "bath". It worked wonderfully! I just wanted to share this idea with everyone who does choose to was there eggs. It seems like it is going to save me a ton of time!
    good luck :)

2. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    I hardly ever have poopy eggs because I put straw or hay in my nest boxes. Even when they poop it usualy falls through and is less on the egg. When it is a little poopy I either throw it against the wall so the chikens can hVe at it..and they love me for it lol...or I take a dry tooth brush and scrub the poo off. I always tell people I sell them thoo that they are farm fresh not factory made therefor just like youd wash your veggies before you eat them wash your eggs but only right before you use then

3. lm84

lm84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    Shouldn't you not be giving your chickens raw egg? They get a taste for the raw egg and want to eat the ones they lay.

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I always wash eating eggs.. I hear you shouldn't but I cannot..CANNOT put a poopy egg in my fridge.. It isn't ever an issue in the summertime as nesting boxes are cleaned daily and fresh stray or pine shavings put down, but in the winter months, lots of rain equals lots of mud and there is generally always something on the eggs transferred from the chickens feet.. We eat our eggs pretty quickly as do my egg eating customers so storage is a week at the most

Now if I am selling them for incubation I don't wash, just a good wipe with a dry cloth is all they need.

5. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    No more than giving them a scraps from a chicken cull or a cooked chicken carcass makes them mindless cannibals [​IMG]

6. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014

Yeah mine have never had an egg eating issue. Even when my one hen was laying soft shell eggs in the middle of the run no one ate it. Until I crack it open for them when I do witch is rare, then they go at it! I think it's good for them. It contains all the nutrients they just made in out of. And my chickens DESTROYED a duck carcas after thanks giving and I haven't seen any zombie chickens [​IMG]

7. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia

Now I don't feel so bad about giving them the leftover Turkey carcass (a little homemade stuffing was still in it, too)...they loved it!

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    LOL, My cluckers are spoiled, there is hardly anything from the kitchen scrap bucket they wont eat... [​IMG]

I read on here many moons ago about a guy who threw a turkey carcass out in the chicken run, the next morning (or later that evening) when his wife went out to check on the flock she saw the carcass and came running in crying thinking the chickens had killed and cannibalized one of there own... One of the best stories I have read here, still brings a chuckle when I think about it [​IMG]

9. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Cooked bones become soft and brittle.

An entire turkey carcass, bones and all, disappears in a week or two every year in my run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by