1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cleaning my 2nd bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naakte, Sep 28, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    my 9/7 babies hatched and made quite a mess in the bator. I know it is important to clean it up before i put the second bunch in there and I am unsure if what I have done is enough.
    I made a bleach and dish soap mix scrubbed the heck out of it with a brush. then boiled 3 gallons of water for 5 min, and poured it over the bator bottom. I did not do the top only the bottom. i set it to dry in the sun. I took my sponges and rinsed them out with a sani solution then put them in the microwave for 2 minutes they also went out in the sun to dry. I used alcohol prep pads to flean the hygrometer and thermostats and set them out in the sun to dry. Is there anything else I should do. I have 8 eggs I set on 9/11 that are supposed to go in there in the morning. any advise will be much appreciated

The bator is a styrofoam thingy i use for 18 to 21 days.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    WOW, your incubator I'm sure is good to go. All I use is antibacterial soap, clean and rinse my styrofoam incubators. I don't use bleach or any heavy duty cleaners. I have a big sink so I put the incubator in the sink in nice soapy water and let it soak for a little while before I clean it and it cleans easy, rinse and I also sit it out in the sun to dry. I have a brush and a cloth for cleaning. That is just how I do it but different strokes for different folks...

3. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I think your way may be easier. I have LG's I did not clean the top though, is this ok? here is a video of 3 of the messy chicks that hatched yesterday

4. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    ohhhhh that reminds me, my lock down bator needs clean before Saturday! Thanks for the advice.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I incubate in a cabinet incubator and have 3 styrofoam incubators, (2 Hova-Bators and 1 LG) I use as hatchers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by