cleaning my chicks butt!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Loretta212, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    yeah so now my chick is 4 days old and gets poo stuck to its butt. i have just been taking it off with a warm towel and its not runny or anything but im a little nervous how can you tell if the chick has a problem? the poop its a little in the hard side its not smushy or runny when i go to take it off

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It could be a little dehydrated / constipated. I'd probably drop the temp in the brooder a little and put a tsp or so of molasses in the water -- and make very sure it has clean water all the time.

3. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    would just keep on doing what you doing it should go away soon hopefully

4. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Quote:I agree as long as the vent itself is not pasted. Tired of the mess and time of washing it off, I take a small pair of pliers and crush the dried ball. It should then pick right off the down. Don't pinch the protruding vent by accident. Barring illness most will outgrow this pretty quick.

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

"Pasty butt" is not unusual in brooder raised chicks. The important thing is to make sure the vent remains clear so that the chick is still able to poop. Sounds like you are doing a fine job of keeping things clean and clear which is the most important thing at this point.

6. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    so far the chick is doing great seems to be able to go just fine so i have been leaving the chick alone for the past couple days and all is well [​IMG] love my little silkie chick so cute!

7. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    Quote:had the same problem, can not still believe i have just cleaned a chicks butt ! thanks for your post it helped me.

8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    had the same problem with 2 of mine who were shipped on Sept 26th- I dont have a light bulb brooder, but an ecoglow so I dont think heat was an issue, as far as I read it can be caused by stress from shipping. I watched them very closely and just wiped as needed with warm wet cotton pads (make up remover pads). 1 had worse than the other so I had to do it more often, but they are both fine now and it only last about 4-5 days. Good luck, I am sure if you keep up on it everything will be fine [​IMG]

9. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I brought home two chicks about a week ago from a very overcrowded tank at the feed store in my hometown. Their booties had been pecked to a bloody mess and they (of course) got pasty butt on top of it. I couldn't just leave them there. I can't wait until this stage has passed. They hate me, because I have to torture them so often. It's going to take a lot of meal worms to win their, um, "affection."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by