1. degonfler_l'amant

degonfler_l'amant In the Brooder

May 19, 2010
    washington state
    i have taken over a coop that wasnt cleaned for atleast 2 years by the previous owner of it and the chickens have been living in this coop for two years with built up poop and cedar shavings
    i just cleaned the coop out completely today and now have no idea what to do with all of the old waste and cedar.
    any ideas on if i can just throw it away,or if i should take it to the dump myself,or if it would be okay to put in a mulch pile or any other ideas

2. drunkdog

drunkdog Songster

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    chicken poop is great fertilizer and compost material [​IMG]

3. degonfler_l'amant

degonfler_l'amant In the Brooder

May 19, 2010
    washington state
    Quote:yes but i cannot use the cedar it is mixed with in the fertilizer so it all has to be disposed of

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    We are lucky enough to have a huge garden space where I dump my summer shaving's and poo's from pen's and if I have old hay from some pens or duck's, We are allowed to burn here but We are very rural so..If you want to bag it all and haul away...What ever work's best for you.

5. drunkdog

drunkdog Songster

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    as for the cedar I am a novice at best and still learning and confused but I though I read somehwere that cedar(chips atleast) were bad for chickens? how then a cedar coop isnt bad I am not at all sure yet ....maybe this will spark some answers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: