Cleaning my incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozark_chickies, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I know I should sterilize my incubator before setting new eggs, but do I have to let it dry out before bringing it back up to temperature for new eggs? Right now my last egg is pipped, zipped and almost hatched. I want to set my new eggs asap, so that I can give them to my broody, (who started setting the 22) when they hatch.Of course the little guy in the egg, might not come out till tomarrow....if not I can set them and still try giving them to the hen.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Is it a foam incubator? Is that why you're wondering about it "drying out"?

Foam does sort of pick up moisture, I guess it goes in the spaces between the foam beads. I know if you let it sit in the sun a day, it will be lighter and smell better. But, I would think you could wash it well, sterilize it with bleach solution, dry it with a towel, and then probably take a hair dryer to it for about 5 minutes and achieve the same thing.

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yes it is foam, a little giant. Guess I need to take a chill pill, and slow down. I was planning to set the eggs before Veronica went broody. Just thought since she had ,it would be nice to let her raise them. I was also counting on all these eggs being hatched, but didn't want to give up on the last egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by